We are heading towards the end of our second week in the States. The job front is not looking pretty for me due to various reasons. A: I’m South African B: I have no previous USA tax experience C: I owned my own company for over a year before we came. My resume looks very impressive and recruiters are bouncing when they read it but (always a but) when they find out ALL of my experience is outside if the US they become uncomfortably quiet. So much for accounting being a worldwide job!!! *humph*
But in this life we only get one chance so I need to get jacked up a quick! I would like to do by CPA but it will take almost a year (or less) if I study really hard and almost full time. This means no real income coming in so we really have to think about this step.
For now I've signed up at H&R Block for a individual tax return preparation course. Basically a 11 week course that teaches you to deal with the man on the street and complete their Federal and State tax returns. Yip something new I learn last night each person pays a federal (USA) and a state (Massachusetts) tax return - little old SA we only filed 1! It’s extremely basic which scares me a bit cause back home you really needed to understand the tax law before even attempting to understand the tax implication oh and for individuals there were not many benefits so you really had to be on the ball to claim any expenses. Anyway, I hope this course teaches me the black and white of USA individual tax so I can at least have a basis when applying for jobs.
The other (maybe a bonus??) with H&R is the course is a training session for potential employment for the tax season (Jan - April). After which everyone gets fired and claims unemployment, then apply again in November for the next tax season.
I would also like to apply to the small CPA firms in the area and see if they'll give me a chance. It will probably at a peasant salary but hey I guess I got to start all over again and be ok with that. I just wish this process was a little easier and less confusing. Need a huge sign... even if it smacks me in the head!


4 comments:
I worked at H&R Block at night when the kids were little. Only one tax season there before I worked at a CPA firm. It was a good experience, very easy, as most people who file taxes with H&R Block have a W-2 and that's it!!
I will pray that you get the training and job you need.
Thanks Colleen - The H&R training seems quite extensive so I hope I can eventually do my CPA with it as a starting point.
Thanks Therese means alot!
Maybe it’s not so bad - I know the guys we hire now are young with no experience : but they come with up to date stuff which is good for the company but a bit intimidating for an individual who has not studied fulltime in a while. So, get the training out the way - together with the fresh academic base and experience in SA, then it’s a breeze from there.
Post a Comment