Wednesday, August 8, 2012
22 week update
Today Jellybean is 22 weeks old. On Monday we had an echocardiogram test done. A fetal echo is a specialized ultrasound that allows doctors to see the baby's heart in great detail and plan the best care for the baby while still in utero. The reason for doing this test is purely cause I was on warfarin and I have a conservative Gynae (which I love).
The scan started off with just a regular growth check by the technician and then the detailed scan by the Dr.
According to the Dr, Jellybeans heart is perfect. The blood is flowing through the ventricles as expected, the blood is flowing in the correct direction and has good volume. As far as the Dr can see with the scan the flaps are opening and closing although he could not see whether there were 2 or 3 flaps. This they can only see once the baby is born and detail testing is done if the Paediatrician considers it necessary. Based on this test the Dr does not seem to think it will be necessary.
He mentioned that Jellybean was very cooperative while doing the exam ie moving in such a way that all sides of the heart may be scanned. Yes we train our kids from young tee hee
Other than that Jellybean weights 1 pound exactly (about 500grams). JB's growth is on par with gestation age - actually a few days more. The Dr said at this stage of the game anything within a 10 day range is considered reasonable. Once we reach the 3rd trimester, Jellybean will be bigger and the measurements will be more accurate. Only then will the growth percentiles mean something.
Later today I go for my regular check up with my Gynae. I don't expect anything to exciting just the regular blood pressure, weight and pee test fun fun fun!
Oh I bought a home doppler machine, its a cheap little device but it gives me piece of mind just listening to the galloping heart rate. I'll try record it and post it, but do not guarantee it will be of good quality.
Onward and forward!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment