Friday, April 6, 2012

The Holy Weekend

The Holy week has arrived, all too quickly, its not like I did not have any warning but it seriously felt like it just pounced on us.  I think the biggest reason is cause its not a public holiday everything is closed kinda weekend like in SA (oh do I miss that!).  Here everyone works, its just a normal Friday and well weekend.  

As you know I'm in tax season, this means absolutely no leave is to be taken, and with the deadline next Friday the chances of time off is slim.  But after a week of mind negotiations I finally got the balls on Friday morning and requested the afternoon off.  My boss' reply  "well I ain't getting between you and God so yes we'll work something out".  Shoo was't gonna play that card but since he brought it up I want gonna argue either.

As per usual I push things to the very last minute, I leave work 2:40, pick up Jaime and rush off to church in Mattapoisett.  After about 10 minutes of driving around trying to find the church I hear Jaime shout "hey Mom there's the church" .... ok 3pm we good to go... well apparently I was the first and only one there. Isn't Good Friday 3pm service like an international standard?  Everyone knows that its like a guaranteed thing, no need asking questions on time, its 3pm and that's that.  Well things are obviously different here.  Needless to say I left to go two towns over to reach their 3pm service. 

Just thinking of SA (again), we'd arrive half hour early just to get a seat or standing position inside the church.  Off the top of my head, I don't think in the past 3 years we have actually spent Good Friday inside the church, always outside, just due to us being late and the church being so packed.  Now here the church was full but not Sunday Mass full, just full.  I managed to find a seat for Jaime and myself, this I was relieved and grateful for.  I really did not want to spend two hours standing and calming Jaime down.

The service was the same as we know it and Jaime behaved well throughout the hour and half service.    Now some quality time with Jaime.  Ili's shift only ends at 10pm so its just me and my boy for dinner and silly games.

All in all a Good Friday it was.


No comments: