Thursday, August 4, 2011

Jaime's turn ...this time tonsils

We visited Dr Carters (ENT) offices on the same day Ili had his wisdoms removed (same hospital). Within 5 minutes into the consult, even with Jaime running around like a loon, Dr Carter decided that his tonsils had to go. He said it was pretty standard to remove them once a child has suffered tonsillitis more than 3 times in a row within a short period of time. In our case it’s been once a month since his birthday. So they had to go. Fine. Surgery set for 1 week’s time.

Murphy's law Jaime gets sick on the Wednesday - high temps sore throat. Once again a visit to the paed = surgery cancelled and follow up appointment set for next Tuesday. Great.

Thank God Jaime got over his tonsillitis pretty quick. The ENT was happy on the Tuesday to do the surgery the next Tuesday. Geez this felt like the never ending story!

Monday Night around 11pm I realise I did not phone the medical aid to request the pre- authorisation code for Jaime's op tomorrow grrrrrrr So I go online submit a request and I hope we'll have a number by tomorrow 6am.  My chances are very low!

Tuesday morning 26 July 2011 5am - we up! we up!  Need to get to the hospital by 6am. As usual the Jardims are on a go slow its to early man!!  We arrive at 6:15am get admitted straight to Paed ward and wait.

Around 8am they came collected Jaime.  He went throught to theater playing PSP (pic below)  did'nt seem too worried. This pretty picture changed dramatically the minute the anethetist grabbed Jaime with one hand and the PSP in the other.  He left us kicking and screaming!  This was heartbreaking, the poor guys did't expect that he did't understand!

Half hour later, waiting at the theater door, we could hear my baby boy screaming! I thank God that he was screaming but I hated the fact that he was. It felt like an age before those theater doors opened. There was my Jaime screaming on a single bed linked to a drip. He was screaming so bad I begged the theater sister if I could hold him - she let me. He grabbed onto me so tight, so tight! I've never felt so sad for my little boy like I did today.
Once he realized we were back in the ward he lost it. throwing things, ripping the drip, screaming, hitting me. He was really angry! I'd grab him hold him, he'd calm down for a minute and rev up again.
Around 11 am he passed out - I think from pure exhaustion. This time he woke up with Mommy and Daddy by his side, much better!!
The next step - drinking 100ml of coke and half a packet of chips, YEAH RIGHT! my son thinks coke is dangerous for him!!! Plus eating full stop is an issue for my boy!!
By 12 - 12:30 both Ili and I were exhausted. The chips were burning his throat, the coke was going down but with a fight. We eventually ate the chips and drank the coke and convinced the nurse he will eat at home.
Home sweet Home

No comments: